IT Senior Engineer, ETL Developer
Position title: IT Senior Engineer, ETL Developer
Position #: 128832
The ETL Developer will report directly to the Manager for Data Warehousing and Reporting, Enterprise Data Services (EDS) within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park. This is a C2 position which serves as an opportunity to contribute to a strategic initiative to improve data-driven decision-making on campus. The ETL Developer will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of a new ETL process to support the creation of a new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) and data platform. This includes using cloud-based technologies, establishing best practices and procedures for ETL development, implementing ETL processes, and documentation. The ETL Developer will collaborate with the Enterprise Data Services (EDS) team on a day-to-day basis and receive technical guidance from the Data Warehouse Architect.The ETL Developer should also be able to interact with Business Stakeholders and develop requirement documentation that will translate business needs into technical requirements.
The emphasis of this position is the technical hands-on activities for the creation and evolution of a new ETL process. Of utmost importance is the ability to select and implement the appropriate ETL or ELT techniques and storing all data as structured files for subsequent usage in a data warehouse or Big Data analysis; prior successful ETL implementations and experience are essential, as is SQL experience. Clear communication, demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate with non-technical stakeholders, create clear and concise technical documentation, and make critical decisions are requirements to be successful in this position.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, or related discipline.
Experience: 4-6 years of experience in designing, implementing and maintaining ETL processes. including experience with SQL.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
* Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws;
* Skill in technical support documentation;
* Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products;
* Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language;
* Ability to communicate effectively orally, and in writing;
* Ability to persuade and lead others to think critically in discussions;
* Experience with various ETL platforms, ideally including Informatica.
* Experience with Python or Java.
* Experience with JSON.
* Experience with OLTP and OLAP data models.
* Must be self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player.
* Experience with Amazon Redshift or other MPP database platforms.
* Experience using AWS for data applications (e.g. EC2, S3, Redshift, RDS, Data Pipeline)
* Experience with Oracle.
* Experience with data related Monitoring tools.
* Experience with Business Intelligence Tools.
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $115,000-$130,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Employee will need to be able to sit for long periods of time to work on a computer, as well as travel occasionally to meet with clients and customers on and off campus. Position also requires being on call to provide some outside of business hours support.
Best consideration date: 11/13/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/114633
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.