Application Engineer The Shyft Group (TSG) Plymouth, MI
Regular Employee Salary Exempt
Who we are
At The Shyft Group we are driven to deliver, and as the North American leader in specialty vehicles, our portfolio of last-mile delivery vehicles, work trucks, and motorhome chassis brings people, goods, and services where they need to be.
We are strengthened by nine industry-leading brands Utilimaster , Blue Arc EV Solutions, Royal Truck Body, DuraMag , Magnum , Strobes-R-Us , Spartan RV Chassis, Red Diamond , and Builtmore . Over 4,000 employees across ten states and two countries work independently and together as one team under Shyft, building chassis, vehicle bodies, and accessories that improve every route, every run, and every ride.
Empowered by a supportive, inclusive, and highly entrepreneurial culture, every person behind our brands is given the tools they need to make a positive contribution to the company, their community, and their families. Together under the Shyft umbrella, our teams drive new synergies that bring innovations to life on the road - for an experience that is safer, more satisfying, more rewarding all around.
With 50 years and millions of miles behind us, we continue to charge forward - leading the commercial vehicle transition to electric, innovating across all our brands, and earning our position among Fortune's 100 Fastest Growing Companies.
What you'll do
As the Application Engineer for Blue Arc (a Shyft Group Brand) based at our R&D facility in Plymouth, MI, your work will be instrumental in determining how we design our customized vehicles for custom applications moving forward. A significant portion of your time will be spent serving as the technical interface between the business units and engineering, while generating new business opportunities through the development of new solutions.
In addition, your role as Application Engineer will involve supporting field issues, driving resolutions, and coordinating engineering resources to support on-going design activities. Strong technical competence, critical design knowledge, and interpersonal and communication skills are paramount to be successful in this role.
You will also:
- Build relationships with external customers while providing technical and business solutions for all
- Nurture relationships with existing customers and establish new customers through sales partnerships
- Act as the primary technical advisor in support of applications and design activities
- Stay ahead of our competition through supporting competitive benchmarking activities
- Provide guidance and insight to business units for strategic planning
- Prepare and deliver formal technical presentations to the sales department and customers
- Solve complex problems and finding resolutions to customer issues in a timely manner
- Attend industry trade shows, conferences, and internal sales and training events
- Assist in the design and development process
- Ensure that customer and business unit goals are captured
- Travel regularly to end-user customers to ensure successful product launches, support integration opportunities, and provide training
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records for key customers, quotes, project requests, contacts, and more
- Aiding Systems Engineering by developing and implementing group tools and processes
- Serve as the main product advocate for your business unit
- Evaluate and translate customer requirements into functional and technical elements
- Drive technical specifications for new product development and product optimization
Expand your knowledge of The Shyft Group and Blue Arc by exploring the Learn More section below.
What you need to be successful
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Five or more years of experience within an engineering or technical field
- Expertise in the design and development of on-highway, heavy truck, specialty, or automotive vehicles (Preferred)
- Versed in both the analytical and the "hands-on" application of technical skills
- Working knowledge of NX Unigraphics CAD
- Ability to review and modify assemblies, models, and detail drawings
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with ERP systems and how to pull data for analysis (e.g., costs, usage, supplier, volumes)
- Willing and able to travel up to 25% domestically and sometimes internationally
The content below is exclusively available on our careers site job description:
The Shyft Group
- Employee Testimonials
- Our Story
- Sustainability Report
- YouTube Channel
- LinkedIn Page
- Blue Arc Launch Video (YouTube)
- Class 5 EV Crew Cab Announcement (Video)
- Power Cube for EVs (Video)
- Ride and Drive - Recap Video
- Follow Blue Arc on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, X, and YouTube
Why The Shyft Group?
We believe that when our people thrive personally and professionally, our business thrives. We are committed to offering comprehensive benefits programs that stay healthy, feel secure, and maintain a work/life balance.
Medical and Rx Plan
Health Savings Account
Dental and Vision Plan
Healthcare Flexible Spending
401 (k) Retirement Savings
Short and Long Term Disability
Company Provided Life and Dependent Life Insurance
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Dependent Care FSA
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The Shyft Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified Individual with a Disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply, please email us at .
The Shyft Group is an E-Verify Employer
Shyft uses E-Verify, which is an online system operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility and validate social security numbers. Through participation in the E-Verify program, information entered on Form I-9 will be provided and compared to information available at both of these agencies. See posters for more details. E-Verify Notice U.S. Right to Work Notice.