Design Engineer Royal Truck Body Carson, CA
Regular Employee Salary Exempt $110 000.00
Who we are
At The Shyft Group we are driven to deliver, and as the North American leader in specialty vehicles, our portfolio of last-mile delivery vehicles, work trucks, and motorhome chassis brings people, goods, and services where they need to be.
We are strengthened by nine industry-leading brands Utilimaster , Blue Arc EV Solutions, Royal Truck Body, DuraMag , Magnum , Strobes-R-Us , Spartan RV Chassis, Red Diamond , and Builtmore . Over 4,000 employees across ten states and two countries work independently and together as one team under Shyft, building chassis, vehicle bodies, and accessories that improve every route, every run, and every ride.
Empowered by a supportive, inclusive, and highly entrepreneurial culture, every person behind our brands is given the tools they need to make a positive contribution to the company, their community, and their families. Together under the Shyft umbrella, our teams drive new synergies that bring innovations to life on the road - for an experience that is safer, more satisfying, more rewarding all around.
With 50 years and millions of miles behind us, we continue to charge forward - leading the commercial vehicle transition to electric, innovating across all our brands, and earning our position among Fortune's 100 Fastest Growing Companies.
What you'll do
As a Design Engineer for our Royal Truck Body division based in Carson, CA, you will be at the forefront of providing accurate, timely, cost effective engineering solutions that work well within the limits of our manufacturing equipment, processes, and assembly capabilities.
Your work in this role will be instrumental in ensuring that our state-of-the-art truck body and specialty vehicle accessories meet and exceed customer requirements, perform for the desired warranty period, and comply with all applicable regulatory requirements.
You will also:
- Design manufacturing aids, fixtures, and tooling
- Translate customer requirements into engineering specifications
- Utilize engineering calculations and layouts to facilitate customer requirements translations
- Apply sound engineering theories and practices in support of business goals
- Create and maintain engineering specifications to continuously improve product quality
- Partner cross-functionally based on function a to generate knowledge to make informed choices
- Guide the engineering change management process for your assigned projects
- Create and issue engineering change requests (ECRs) and manage the ECR approval process
- Provide engineering support in the area of product Quality (function of components and systems under conditions of customer usage), Manufacturability (cutting, bending, welding, fixturing), Assemble-ability (fit of interfacing components, assembly tool access), and Product cost (material choice, prescribed manufacturing processes)
- Create 3D solid models and drawings to achieve defined product attributes
- Manage the Bill of Materials for Engineering and support the New Product Introduction (NPI) process
- Develop and implement validation plans to ensure product quality
- Identify opportunities to improve financial performance of projects through product cost optimization
- Benchmark similar products across the industry and compare attributes
- Partner with Operations to develop standard work instructions for production and branch associates
- Communicate effectively with managers and staff to ensure projects are delivered in line with expectations for cost, quality, and timing
Learn more about The Shyft Group and Royal Truck Body by exploring the hyperlinks below.
What you need to be successful
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Technology, or related discipline
- Three or more years of engineering experience related to the design and development of on-highway, heavy truck, specialty, or automotive vehicles
- Proficient in SolidWorks design and engineering software
- A history of designing and manufacturing sheet metal products, including tolerance design and ANSI-Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning tolerancing
- A history of delivering projects from conception through production
- Familiarity with running SolidWorks Analysis software (Highly Preferred)
- Previous use of manufacturing tools and processes such as laser cutting, press brakes, and MiG welding
- Versed in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)
- Formal training in Quality System Procedures and expertise in creating SOPs
The content below is exclusively available on our careers site job description:
The Shyft Group
- Employee Testimonials
- Our Story
- Sustainability Report
- YouTube Channel
- LinkedIn Page
Royal Truck Body
- Press Releases
- Truck Bodies Product Page
- Accessories Product Page
- Follow Royal Truck Body on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube
Why The Shyft Group?
We believe that when our people thrive personally and professionally, our business thrives. We are committed to offering comprehensive benefits programs that stay healthy, feel secure, and maintain a work/life balance.
Medical and Rx Plan
Health Savings Account
Dental and Vision Plan
Healthcare Flexible Spending
401 (k) Retirement Savings
Short and Long Term Disability
Company Provided Life and Dependent Life Insurance
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Dependent Care FSA
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The Shyft Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified Individual with a Disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply, please email us at .
The Shyft Group is an E-Verify Employer
Shyft uses E-Verify, which is an online system operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility and validate social security numbers. Through participation in the E-Verify program, information entered on Form I-9 will be provided and compared to information available at both of these agencies. See posters for more details. E-Verify Notice U.S. Right to Work Notice.