Manufacturing Engineer DuraMag Waterville, ME
Regular Employee Salary Exempt
Who we are
At The Shyft Group we are driven to deliver, and as the North American leader in specialty vehicles, our portfolio of last-mile delivery vehicles, work trucks, and motorhome chassis brings people, goods, and services where they need to be.
We are strengthened by nine industry-leading brands Utilimaster , Blue Arc EV Solutions, Royal Truck Body, DuraMag , Magnum , Strobes-R-Us , Spartan RV Chassis, Red Diamond , and Builtmore . Over 4,000 employees across ten states and two countries work independently and together as one team under Shyft, building chassis, vehicle bodies, and accessories that improve every route, every run, and every ride.
Empowered by a supportive, inclusive, and highly entrepreneurial culture, every person behind our brands is given the tools they need to make a positive contribution to the company, their community, and their families. Together under the Shyft umbrella, our teams drive new synergies that bring innovations to life on the road - for an experience that is safer, more satisfying, more rewarding all around.
With 50 years and millions of miles behind us, we continue to charge forward - leading the commercial vehicle transition to electric, innovating across all our brands, and earning our position among Fortune's 100 Fastest Growing Companies.
What you'll do
As the Manufacturing Engineer for DuraMag (A Shyft Group Brand) based in Waterville, ME, you will play a critical role in optimizing manufacturing processes and troubleshooting production problems. This will involve preparing time studies, project planning, project and budget management, and planning and designing manufacturing plant floor layouts to properly locate and coordinate equipment and material for efficient production.
Additionally, your work as Manufacturing Engineer will be instrumental in developing and maintaining systems needed to drive continuous improvement in areas of cost, quality, safety, lead time, and working capital.
You will also:
- Develop and maintain systems to support production
- Foster a culture focused on continuous improvement and eliminating waste
- Evaluate tools and equipment process options aimed to reduce operational costs
- Obtain approval for investments in machinery and equipment designed to improve manufacturing and assembly efficiency
- Produce engineering drawings for design fixturing and tooling
- Implement lean manufacturing ideas such as visual controls and continuous improvement
- Provide manufacturing technical support in the areas of tooling, fixturing and process troubleshooting
- Improve existing operations through investigating new technologies
- Monitor and correct safety and ergonomic issues
- Support continuous improvement by developing and organizing lean events
- Actively participate in the WOW (War On Waste) team and implement the program
- Support the NPI (New Product Introduction) process through evaluating new projects
- Aid in workstation load balancing for all manufacturing areas
- Verify, review, and implement torque specifications and high-risk part specifications
- Track welder certifications and make necessary adjustments based on requirements
- Investigate problems, determine root cause, and implement corrective and preventative actions to resolve issues
- Stay abreast of current developments in manufacturing through reading literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs and professional organizations, and attending workshops
Expand your knowledge of The Shyft Group, DuraMag , and Waterville, ME by exploring the Learn More section below.
What you need to be successful
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering or a related discipline
- 2 or more years of manufacturing engineering experience
- Low volume/high variation manufacturing operation expertise (Preferred)
- A history of handling multiple projects, meeting deadlines, and managing and maintaining budgets
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with computer-aided design systems (SolidWorks and AutoCAD preferred)
- Solid hands-on engineering skills and versed in working on production equipment
- Sound judgment with the ability to make timely, and sometimes difficult decisions
The content below is exclusively available on our careers site job description:
The Shyft Group
- Employee Testimonials
- Our Story
- Sustainability Report
- About DuraMag
- Main Website
- About Waterville, Maine (Official Site)
- Waterville, ME on TripAdvisor
- About Waterville -
Why The Shyft Group?
We believe that when our people thrive personally and professionally, our business thrives. We are committed to offering comprehensive benefits programs that stay healthy, feel secure, and maintain a work/life balance.
Medical and Rx Plan
Health Savings Account
Dental and Vision Plan
Healthcare Flexible Spending
401 (k) Retirement Savings
Short and Long Term Disability
Company Provided Life and Dependent Life Insurance
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Dependent Care FSA
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The Shyft Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified Individual with a Disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply, please email us at .
The Shyft Group is an E-Verify Employer
Shyft uses E-Verify, which is an online system operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility and validate social security numbers. Through participation in the E-Verify program, information entered on Form I-9 will be provided and compared to information available at both of these agencies. See posters for more details. E-Verify Notice U.S. Right to Work Notice.